Disabled Persons’ Organization of Nawagaththegama
For the benefit of persons with disabilities living in the Puttalam area, the Nawagaththegama division, Apeksha Swa Shakthi Organization Was established under the registration number පුත්/නව/2015.02 of the Nawagaththegama Divisional Secretariat of Puttalam district. According to the statistics, the number of registered beneficiaries in this system is 139 as male members are 56 and female members are 83 in the organization.
The number of children in the age group 0 – 16 years who are members of the organization is 24. The number of youth in the age group of 17-35 years is 21. The total number of senior citizens above 35 years is 94.
The purpose of this organization is to protect the rights of persons with disabilities, to establish coexistence as citizens, to ensure and implement the rights of persons with disabilities, and to use their knowledge, attitude, and skills for the common development of themselves and their group.
Among the beneficiaries who are the members of Nawagaththegama division, Apeksha Swa Shakthi Organization, 2 female members are engaged in private sector work and 9 male members and 15 female members are self-employed.
The subcommittee of officers Governing the Apeksha Swa Shakthi Organization.
Chairman – Name – Mr.R.D.Sunil Rathnayaka
Address – Nawagaththegama
Contact No – 0704290620
Secretary – Name – Mrs.M.D.Sandya Kumari
Address – Inginimitiya
Contact No – 0716977864
Treasurer – Name – Mr.R.P.D.Senevirathne
Address – Piyasumanagama, Nawagaththegama
Contact No – 0715399772
● The organization has been registered in the Divisional Secretariat Office including 193 members.
● Religious programs and traditional programs have been implemented monthly.
● Sermons and almsgiving programs have been implemented.
● The special access roads have been constructed for persons with disabilities in conjunction with other institutions. (Paving concrete to the entrance of the divisional Secretariat office, the entrance of Post Office, and the entrance of Samurdhi Bank)
● Involved the members in self-employment and gardening training programs.
● Implemented entertainment programs and traditional programs.
● Provided vocational training for the identified youths.
● Referring public health inspectors to protect against diseases during the beginning of paddy farming and providing equipment for other needs.